14..BIEBER, Ralph P. And LeRoy R. Hafen (ed.) . The Southwest Historical Series - Glendale,
CA: Arthur H. Clark Co., 1931-1943. First edition, Later volumes edited By LeRoy R. Hafen.. 12 volumes.
Original red cloth, with gilt title on spines. A nice set showing minimal wear to extremities. $ SOLD
This important set contains the Southwestern travel accounts, including of Webb, Bandel, Gibson, Johnston, Garrard,
Cooke, and McCoy, as well as information and documents relating to the Colorado and Pike's Peak gold rush as well
as much information on the southern trails to California and the Southwest in general.
"This is the first major series published after the company's move to Glendale, California. Ralph P. Bieber of
Washington University in St. Louis, was the editor of the first eight volumes. Due to slow delivery of manuscripts,
his contract was canceled and LeRoy R. Hafen, State Historian of Colorado, assumed responsibility for completing
the series" - Clark & Brunet 19.
List of titles:
1. Adventures in the Santa Fe Trade, 1844-1847, by James Josiah Webb (1931, 301 pp., plates, folding map);
2. Frontier Life in the Army, 1854-1861, by Eugene Bandel (translated by Olga Bandel and Richard Jente; 1932,
330 pp., plates, folding map);
3. Journal of a Soldier under Kearney and Doniphan, 1846- 1847, by George Rutledge Gibson (1935, 371 pp.,
plates, folding map);
4. Marching with the Army of the West, 1846-1848, by Abraham R. Johnston, Marcellus B. Edwards, and Philip
Gooch Ferguson (1936, 368 pp., plates, folding map)
5. Southern Trails to California in 1849, (1937, 386 pp., plates, folding map)
6. Wah-To-Yah and the Taos Trail, by Lewis H. Garrard (1938, 377 pp., plates, folding map.
7. Exploring Southwestern Trails, 1846-1854, by Philip St. George Cooke, William H.C. Whiting, and Francois X.
Aubrey (1938, 383 pp., plates, folding map)
8. Historic Sketches of the Cattle Trade of the West and Southwest, by Joseph G. McCoy (1940, 435 pp., plates;
9. Pike's Peak Gold Rush Guidebooks of 1859, by Luke Tierney, William B. Parsons, and summaries of the other
fifteen (edited by LeRoy R. Hafen, 1941, 346 pp., plates, folding map)
10. Colorado Gold Rush: Contemporary Letters and Reports, (edited by LeRoy R. Hafen, 1941, 386 pp., plates,
11. Overland Routes to the Gold Fields, 1859, from Contemporary Diaries: Arkansas River Route, Platte River
Route, Leavenworth and Pike's Peak Express Route, Smoky Hill Trail, etc., (edited by LeRoy R. Hafen, 1942,
320 pp., plates, folding map)
12. Analytical Index to the Series (1943, 364 pp.).